Wednesday, July 31, 2013

It's ONLY $2

"It's ONLY $2!" Those words have been heavy on my heart for several months now. Many years ago, I was asked by someone who was in the midst of a struggle to help her set up a budget. During our meeting, I mentioned ways for her to decrease expenses and shared my thrifty shopping tips.. for a large family grocery coupons could be a huge savings for them. Anyway, as I explained how and where locally I used coupons she asked where she could get the coupons. With my simple response, "In Sundays newspaper, it's ONLY $2" her eyes grew large and filled with tears and then glanced away down at the ground. I knew instantly that my assumption that everyone could "spare" TWO DOLLARS was just that.. an assumption.
At that particular time in my life I was comfortable in almost every way. I was in a position where I donated a good amount of money to charities and tried to help people often. However, maybe I was a little too comfortable and forgot how JUST $2 could impact a persons life so greatly.
My life has changed quite a bit since then and karma is a funny thing... I found myself in the same exact position not being able to afford a simple newspaper many times, even though it was "ONLY" $2. I have heard those same words of it's "ONLY" on several occasions reminding me instantly of the woman's face as I would take a deep breath and hope that my face (or tone) wouldn't give me away.
Back in the day I felt as though I failed terribly trying to help this woman.. I just didn't realize the lesson was for me and not her. I received my big slice of humble pie. Did you... "it's ONLY $2"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Sweets's Fan Box